Tuesday, February 08, 2011

. . .SUNNY DAYS

February 8, 2011

January proved to be a super wet month in Cebu. Not only was it raining for days, there were floods to boot. I used to tell my family back in Bacolod that it very seldom rains in Cebu. If it does rain, it does not last long. Oh well, how times have changed. It's getting harder and harder to get a tan in Cebu now.

Last month, it rained so hard for about an hour and a half and right outside our house was a flowing river -- complete with current! We are lucky our house is elevated because the house across ours had to take out flood water using pails and tabo!

I needed to get to work then so I readied myself by using a sling bag, water-proof & hooded jacket, huge umbrella, high Havs and yes, I rolled-up my uniform pants! The height of shoshal-ness!

I sooo hate getting my feet wet, how much more getting them wet with murky, coffee-colored floodwater! I thought of all the dog poop, human waste, spit, rat pee, trash (good thing trash was collected before the mighty rain started!), used sanitary pads and all the ewwwy, icky stuff in the world! When I got out, the sun was already peeking through the clouds but wait, raging flood water while the sun shone??? Weird!


I had to hail a pedicab & so as not to get my a$s wet, I was half-standing in the sikad that I had to share with another person! I was forever muttering 'ew! ew! ew!' and I did not care if the guy I was with in the sikad was rolling his eyes to kingdom come. I hated seeing my feet fully submerged in the freaking murky waters!

When I was finally in the comforts of the cab to work, I wiped my feet like crazy with alcogel and wet wipes!

Oh, Cebu, I remembered when I got here that I was complaining about the heat. Did you take so much offense that's why you flooded on me? Please don't do it again. Leptospirosis, you know...


No comments:

Post a Comment