Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Cooking Mama: Pinakbet

24 March 2015

Pakbet you'll love this!

1/4 lb Pork, thinly sliced (any part -- belly, pork chop...whatever you like..)
1 large Eggplant, sliced
1 med Bitter melon, chopped
(I still haven't gotten to liking ampalaya. My tongue literally crawls down to my stomach when I even try a teeny bit!)
1/4 lb Squash, cubed
3 pcs Tomatoes, sliced
1 pc Onion, chopped
1 tbsp Ginger, minced
(or not! Hahaha! I hate biting into a piece of ginger unknowingly. So huge slices of ginger for me!)
3 cloves Garlic, crushed
6-8 pcs Okra, sliced
1 bunch String beans, cut in 3 inches length
4 tbsp Shrimp paste / Bagoong
(I use Barrio Fiesta or Zaragoza. Nothing of the fuchsia kind found in Cebu!)
1 c Water (I used pork broth for more flavor.)
3 tbsp Cooking Oil
Salt and pepper

Okay, before I share the procedure, I'd like to explain my improvisations. :)

I did not eat vegetables when I was a child. I think I've already shared that I only started eating veggies when my kids were already talking.
Eating veggies is fairly new to me. And if that is new, cooking veggies is a whole 'nutha level of new!

I don't like ampalaya. Bitterest melon ever!

I love ginger. I drink salabat (ginger tea) every night. I used to chew on a piece of ginger when I lost my voice and I needed to sing. But eating it, accidentally, ugh! So no. I need to see the ginger slices in my meals. It should not creep up my mouth and make itself known.

There. Now let's start cooking!

1. Saute garlic, ginger, onion and tomatoes.
2. Add the pork and cook until color turns light brown.
3. Put in the shrimp paste and cook for at least 2 minutes.
4. Add pork broth and bring to a boil. Simmer until pork is tender.
5. Put in the squash and cook until squash is soft.
6. Add the remaining vegetables and mix gently.
7. Simmer briefly until veggies are perfectly cooked.

For meatless Friday, substitute pork with prawns.

No comments:

Post a Comment